Kinds of hosting solutions
A hosting service implies storing and/or sharing certain web content on a web server managed by a website hosting distributor. There are various forms of hosting services utilized for different aims, so let's review these. In this way, you can determine what you want, depending on whether you wish to establish a site, email box accounts, or to share files with buddies and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution made available by various web hosts, which lets you share enormous files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single objective is to share files, since it does not offer web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a register of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web files in your browser. Free file hosting packages frequently involve advertisements next to the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a specific amount of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file hosting package, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a completely imprecise interpretation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would allot the workload between individual groups of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving miscellaneous web space hosting services (email, data storage, stats, DNS, databases, web space hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is just a sort of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; specific suppliers provide a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting kind is suitable if you wish to share a big amount of images with buddies or colleagues since the solution is commonly free of cost. You will receive a random link for each and every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to tackling your e-mails. Some firms offer web site hosting services for web sites, but do not offer an e-mail solution. If you wish to set up an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can open e-mail address accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video clip, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this approach instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video file produces a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of video files and several hundred site viewers, you may have a hard time with your hosting reserves. Embedding the video will enable you to run as many video files as you want without hassling about system reserves.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to own a site. To some degree, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting variants since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and email address accounts, upload video files, etc. At artichosts, for instance, you can see web hosting and dedicated web server hosting accounts that permit you to have all of the aforementioned solutions in one single location. There may be limitations based on the type of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the conventional email/file/video/image hosting plans that are created for specific content solely.